Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pie pumpkin
- ½ pound ground beef, bison or lamb
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground or fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the top off the pumpkin as if to make a Jack-O-Lantern. Save the top and set it aside. Scoop out the seeds and reserve for sweet pumpkin seed recipe. Rub the inside of the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine uncooked meat, chopped chard, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, remaining olive oil, cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne. Stir well and scoop the mixture into the hollow of the pumpkin. Replace the top.
- Place the whole stuffed pumpkin in a glass baking dish. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the baking dish in 1 inch of water. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft and the meat is cooked through. Remove from the oven and cut the pumpkin open. Quarter vertically and serve open-faced. Serve immediately.