Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups brown rice
- 2 organic sausages, cooked, diced (opt)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onion, raw or sautéed
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup slivered almonds or pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or ½ teaspoon powdered garlic
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- juice from ½ a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak brown rice for 4 hours or overnight. Rinse and place in a large saucepan with water and vegetable broth. Cook over medium-high heat until the water boils, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 4
5 minutes or until the rice is done.
2. In the mean time, chop the onion and sausage (you can use vegetarian sausage if desired). If sautéing the onion, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to look transluscent. Add the sausage and cook through.
3. Once the water has evaporated from the rice, remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork. Combine with onion and sausage, cranberries, nuts, parsley, garlic, turmeric, ginger, coriander, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and fluff with a fork. Place in serving dish and garnish with parsley or curled lemon rind. Serve hot or cold.